Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Relay For Life 2011


This past weekend was Relay For Life. I have a strong connection to this event not only because it's fun and raises a lot of money for the American Cancer Society, but because both sides of my family have been touched by cancer. I also have been the Event's co-chair in my community two years in a row. This year, with the birth of Jonah, I had to take a step back when it came time for the actual event. It was hard to let go of the control I like to maintain. (I like control.) The American Cancer Society staff and my other co-chair did a great job picking up the slack that I left when I had Jonah. In my opinion though the event wouldn't have gone as well without my mom and her role on the Relay For Life Committee. I felt like she was a lot of the glue that held the event together and she was a tremendous help! Thanks mom for all your hard work!


My Aunt Helen was there for the...oh, I don't know how many years in a row... She entered Jonah in the costume contest where he placed second.



These guys didn't make it in time for the costume contest because they were eating a hamburger in the food court. In my opinion they would have won for most outgoing. Evan is the Ninja on the left, Carter is the phantom on the right, and Carter's friend is the phantom in the middle.


My mom, my Aunt, and I Relay for their dad, my grandfather, Albert Smith who died of colon cancer over 20 years ago. Luminary bags were given in his honor by all of his daughters and my grandmother.


I also Relay for all the Cancer Survivors who walk the track. Some are surviving for 6 weeks and some are surviving for over 20 years. It's a touching sight to see them all together walking their victory lap.


I love Relay For Life! It's a fun event...even Jonah thought so. But, by about 8:30 we were ready to go home and snuggle together in our big comfy chair.

3 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to recover from Relay. I've got a stack of people to call today who won silent auction items. The event may be over, but there are still chores to do. The event that keeps on giving! Best of all are all the patients who will receive free services from all the money that has been raised. $147,000 and counting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A standing ovation to all the work you both do for this event! I'm glad I could be a small part of it, even though I'm very far away. Jonah looked adorable-Yay to Aunt Helen for entering him in the contest. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. The boys looked like they were ready for crowd control!

    Many thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love participating in the Relay in a variety of ways. This year it was fun parading my little great-nephew around in his goblin costume...the best little goblin ever! Shawna, I admire your involvement in the Waco Relay for Life which supports the work of the American Cancer Society. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete